Is your computer running slow? Here are some ways in which you can help your computer to get back up to speed and it is often more simple than you might first think.
In this article, I’m going to show you some great ways in which you can stop your computer running slow and get back to working on the more important things.
Ways To Fix a Computer that is Running Slow
There may be a variety of reasons that your computer is running slow, and many people wrongly think that this is just something that comes with age. Whilst this is somewhat true – no computer is going to live forever, at least not as far as speed is concerned, but many other factors might cause a computer to run more slowly than it once did. We will now dive into some things that you can try to get your computer sped up.
1. Delete Temporary Files
This is a common mistake made by a lot of computer users, and it is something that can be easily done regularly to keep your computer running smoothly and at an optimum speed.
- You can do this by selecting ‘My computer’ and then choosing your main drive.
- Next, open the folder titled ‘Windows’ inside which you will find another folder called ‘temp.’
- You should right-click on this folder and then choose ‘view’ and ‘details.’
- You can then select and delete files, freeing up memory and therefore speeding up your computer.
2. Remove Unnecessary Startup Programs
Upon switching on your computer, you may have a variety of programs that start up automatically. If you do not need these to be open on every single use, why have them running in the background? The more programs that your computer is having to keep open, the slower it will be. You can disable programs from starting up when you switch on by using the following steps.
- Select the start menu and type in ‘run.’
- A box will appear and inside it, you should type ‘msconfig.’
- Another box will appear and from this, you can select the option called ‘startup.’
- You will see a list of any program that is set to open on startup, you can deselect all or as many as are not needed. This will not only speed up your computer whilst in use but also speed up the startup process.
3. Uninstall Programs You No Longer Need
If you have programs on your computer that you do not use, it might slow down your computer. You can perhaps remove ones which were pre-installed when you brought the device or ones which you no longer require This is a very simple thing to do and can be done like this:
- Click on the start button and choose the ‘control panel’ option
- There will be an option called ‘programs and features,’ you should select this
- You will be presented with a list of all of the programs which are installed and there will be an option to delete them. You can uninstall as many as you need
- It is always worth mentioning that you should never uninstall a program if you do not know what it is, this could be an important program for the running of your computer
4. Perform a Disk Defragment
This might sound like a super high tech operation that cannot be done performed by a layman but let me assure you that it isn’t anything like that. By performing a disk defragment you are essentially optimizing your hard drive. Let’s look at how you can achieve this.
- Click on ‘my computer’ and where you see the words ‘hard drive’ and right click
- Select the option ‘properties’
- You will see another option ‘tools,’ click on this and select the option to ‘defragment now.’ It is that simple and your computer will thank you for running much more quickly
5. Don’t Use as Many Animations
Many people may not even realize that their computer is using animations which can be a contributing factor in a computer running slow, but it is something that is set up when the computer is first switched on and a lot of people do not ever change this. However, it can be changed and this is what you need to do.
- Use your mouse to right-click on the start button, you will see a list of options, select ‘system’
- On the next selection of options, you should choose the one which reads ‘advanced system settings’
- You will see a settings option under the heading ‘performance.’ Select this
- Under another heading called ‘Visual effects’, you can choose the option ‘Adjust for best performance’
- If you do not want to turn off every animation, you can opt for the ‘custom’ settings and then select which ones you want to turn off and which ones you wish to keep on
6. Perform a Virus Scan
One of the reasons that your computer may be running more slowly than it could be due to a malicious program that has been installed and is running in the background. It is worth running regular checks as with so much time spent online, it is easy for this type of software to worm its way in without you noticing. So, install an anti-virus software and perform a complete scan regularly.
There could be many reasons why your computer has lost its get up and go, but this should not be a cause to ditch it and go out to buy a new one. A much less costly way, free in fact, would be to run some of the tips we have suggested to improve the speed of your device. You may need to perform a combination of the above tips for maximum effect or you may find that it is simply one thing causing the lag, either way by following these steps your computer should be back to its old self in no time at all.