Slack is used mostly by teams for work, but that doesn’t mean one can’t have fun, at least a bit of it. And GIFs can do just that.
For teams using Slack, sending GIFs using GIPHY is as easy as pie, given the feature is already enabled. If your workspace hasn’t enabled the GIPHY app yet, you can ask your administrator to add it.
If you already have the GIPHy app, here’s how to start using it to send fun GIFs in Slack whether you’re using your iPhone or Android phone, or the website app for PC or Mac.
How to Use GIPHY in Slack: iPhone
- Log in to your Slack account and start the app on your iPhone.
- Choose a channel or a personal conversation with a coworker you want to send a GIF to.
- To start typing, tap the message field at the bottom.
- Type in the following: /giphy
- The command line turns black and reads “[text].”
- If you haven’t already done so, enter a random word and then tap the blue arrow in the bar below the message line.
- A random GIF will be shown depending on the word you typed.
- Choose if you want to send that GIF, scroll to find another one, or cancel it.
How to use GIPHY in Slack: Android
Android users can post GIFs to their Slack chats in a similar way. Choose a channel, enter the “/giphy” command, and the GIF topic. Find a suitable one using the shuffle option and, when you’re satisfied with the preview, post the GIF to the channel.
There’s another way you can send GIFs to your colleagues. Depending on the keyboard, you will be able to use it to create even more GIFs. For example, if you have a Microsoft SwiftKey keyboard, you have a GIF key at the top, above the number keys. Tap the button and use the magnifying glass icon to scan for the GIF you like, and tap to send it to the channel or chat.
How to Use GIPHY in Slack: Mac, Windows, and Chromebook
If you’re using Slack on your computer, you probably already know that this management platform has a desktop app. You can access your workspace via this app or log in via a web browser.
Whatever approach you chose to use, the steps are the same, so it’s all up to you.
- Sign in to your Slack workspace via your desktop app or browser.
- To send a GIF, select a channel or a personal conversation.
- Type in “/giphy” in the message area.
- A new menu will come up and you will see GIPHY on the list. Click the “Find” button and share a GIF with GIPHY.
- Select the search area in the pop-up window and type a term to find GIFs based on it.
- Click the “Search” tab.
- There would be a random GIF. You can press “Shuffle” at the top of the window to find another GIF or “Share” at the bottom if you’re satisfied with it.
- If you want to change the GIF recipient, press the GIF drop-down list below to pick another person or channel.
How to Use GIPHY Preview in Slack
There is no clear set of steps to take to preview GIFs in Slack. When you go to GIPHY, you’ll see a preview of every GIF before you send it. In the pop-up window where your GIF is shown, you can opt to send it or keep browsing the “Shuffle” button.
If you do not see previews of your GIFs for any reason, do the following.
- Sign in to your Slack workspace.
- Select the name of the workspace in the upper left corner.
- Scroll to “Administration” and pick “Manage apps.”
- You’re going to be routed to a new page to display all the applications you’ve enabled.
- Tap on “GIPHY”
- Scroll down, and you’ll find the “Enable GIPHY” preview option. Check the box in front of the box.
- Select “Save Integration” to keep the changes.
BONUS: Create Your Own GIPHY
If you just can’t seem to find the perfect GIF, you can always make your own so you can use it on Slack. To do that, go to the GIPHY website or use the app.
- Create and log in to a GIPHY account.
- Drag and drop the GIF you like to the “Upload” window.
- Click “Add Tags” to your GIFs, so you can locate them. If you’re not the author, make sure you add the URL by pressing the “Add a Source URL” button.
- Set the privacy settings to “Public” so that everyone can see your GIFs.
- Choose “Upload” to wrap things up and enjoy sharing your GIFs with your team.
Make Workspace Chats More Fun
Often, in one GIF, you can say more than one sentence. GIFs can be funny, and they can make any conversation lively. Want to cheer up your coworkers? Browse the funny and relatable GIFs to make them chuckle. This was what the Slack team had in mind when they made GIPHY available throughout workspaces. You might as well make the most out of it.