OptiFine is a flexible software that many “Minecraft” players cannot live without, particularly when playing on a less powerful computer. It’s a “Minecraft: Java Edition” optimizer that makes the game run more smoothly on computers with less memory and less efficient graphics cards.
OptiFine also grants you access to a plethora of new texture packs and HD shaders to make your game look as good as possible, as well as a few useful new gameplay mechanics, such as the infamous “OptiFine Zoom.”
It differs from mods in terms of installation and operation, but it is similar in that it alters how the game looks and functions.
What are the Features of OptiFine?
So here are a few features that will help you run Minecraft smoother:
- It supports HD Texture
- Doubles the FPS
- Fewer lags and smoother gameplay
- Dynamic Lights
- Variable Render Distance
- Control Over Fog
- Better Grass, Water, Snow
Depending on if you want to use OptiFine with other mods, there are two ways to install and use it.
How to Install and Run OptiFine Without Mods in ‘Minecraft’
- Navigate to the OptiFine downloads page in your preferred web browser. If you aren’t using the most recent edition of “Minecraft,” press “Show all versions” to locate and choose your version.
- Click “Download” next to the OptiFine version you want to use. If you’re taken to an ad break page, click “Skip” in the top-right corner after a brief countdown.
- When redirected to the OptiFine download page, click “Download” and save it anywhere you can find it. Your browser and/or device can show an alert about your download, which you may safely ignore.
- Go to the downloaded OptiFine file, which should be an executable.jar file. To launch the installer, double-click the file and select “Install.” After that, you should see a message indicating that OptiFine has been successfully installed.
- Launch the Minecraft Launcher and pick “OptiFine” from the drop-down menu to the left of the “Play” button. When it is, press the “Play” button.
- When “Minecraft” loads, go to the main menu and choose “Options…”, then “Video Settings.” If you see new options like “Shaders,” “Details,” and “Animations,” you know the OptiFine download was successful.
How to Install and Run OptiFine with ‘Minecraft’ Mods
- Download OptiFine by following the first three steps outlined above. Download Minecraft Forge if you haven’t already.
- Launch the Minecraft Launcher application.
- Select “forge” from the drop-down menu next to the green play button, then press “Play” to begin.
- The “Mods” option can be found in the Minecraft main menu. Click it, then choose “Open mods folder.” Java will open the mods folder provided by Forge by default.
- Drag and drop the.jar OptiFine file you downloaded into the mods folder.
- Exit “Minecraft” and relaunch it, this time using the Forge installation version. This time, on the load screen, you should see the message “Found 2 modfiles to load” pass by, indicating that OptiFine has been integrated into Forge.
- You should double-check that it was configured correctly the same way you did before: Enter the main menu and pick “Options…”, then “Video Settings.” OptiFine is installed if there are additional options such as “Shaders,” “Details,” and “Animations.”
Important: OptiFine, like most mods, only works with “Minecraft: Java Edition.” There is no official OptiFine version for “Minecraft: Bedrock Edition.”